Now, whoever said that a salad could not be a main meal clearly has never had my Barley & Pumpkin Salad with Coconut Dressing.
I am sitting here typing this post totally full as a boot. This salad is SO! filling. Not like ‘Blah I’m full I can’t move’ type feeling which was pretty much me the entire week of Christmas. But rather a ‘Oh I’m so full I feel energised!’ type feeling.
It’s like your body is thanking you with each mouth full of this salad. How could it not be, its filled with such fabulous ingredients. Roasted pumpkin and spanish onions, pearl barely, walnuts, chia and flaxseeds as well as a delicious coconut dressing and a final flourish of ketchup manis… Ok, so the last part isn’t ‘healthy’ per-say but it’s just yum!
I used Pearl Barley in my recipe, but feel free to use Hulled Barely. Hulled Barely is very nutritious, it just takes a but longer to cook (helps to pre-soak) and is also a bit firmer in texture and nuttier (apparently also an appetite suppressant too Info).
If this salad was filling as pearl barely, I am sure the hulled barely would be even more so. I couldn’t even finish my bowl I had it was so filling, a little goes a long way. I’d say as a lunch or light dinner this would feed 4 in my opinion just because its so filling. As a side I reckon it could yield 6… Like I said a little goes a long way!
- 1 cup Pearl Barley
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 Jap Pumpkin
- 1 Spanish Onion
- 1/2 cup Walnuts
- Bunch Lettuce Leaves
- 2 tbsp Flaxseeds
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup Coconut Cream
- 1/2 tsp ground Ginger
- 5 drops Sesame Oil
- Drizzle Ketchup Manis (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 200c (400F / Gas 6).
- Remove pumpkin seeds and dice pumpkin and onion into cubed pieces and add to a lightly greased pan. Drizzle with oil and place in hot oven for 30min or until tender, allow to cool.
- Meanwhile cook barley in a stove pot for 30-35 min until tender. Drain and rinse under cool water, set aside.**
- Roast walnuts in oven for 2 minutes or until lightly browned and scented, allow to cool.
- Mix together coconut cream, ginger and sesame oil in a small jug.
- Place barley, pumpkin, onion, walnuts and flaxseeds in a large bowl. Tear up lettuce leaves on top and very gently mix together.
- Place salad onto a serving plater. Drizzle with ketchup manis (if using) & coconut dressing. Sprinkle over Chia seeds and serve.
- *as a side to a main meal this could yield 6 (very filling)
- **barley can be cooked on a rice cooker - refer to cooker instructions
I do hope your enjoying my Simple Salad Series! Please pop by again next Sunday Yumtastic Simple Salad recipe!
What’s your ALL TIME FAVOURITE salad?
Do you have a ‘go to’ salads recipe you take to a BBQ or friends place?
Did you also over eat during Chrismas?
My Simple Salad Series are recipes I have created on my tastes and palette.You’ll notice that I do not play by the 3:1 rule (3 parts oil to 1 part acid) when it comes to my dressing. This is my preference I prefer a kick of flavour then lots of oil. But that’s me, so if its not for you, just adjust the ratios to your taste. Happy salad eating!
Other recent posts: